Tuesday, April 19, 2011

the philosophy of first world eating

  • 12:04 I walk into McDonald's and I can't buy anything, it's been a little over 4 months and I want to eat something shitty, but the power of habit is keeping me from indulging in my tendency for self-sabotage. Besides, it just seems wrong ethically. How many creatures, and people, and how much of the environment got fucked over just so I can have the convenience of a $2 in 2 minute cheeseburger? I walk past the counter, and away disappointed. So you refuse to indulge in any activity that is potentially harmful to the world in anyway Loren? Why not become a hermit. That way no one gets hurt. Go on, leave no footprints. Pretend that we are not in fact part of the natural world, a world that is far from stable anyway. I can justify anything in my mind, but it raises the classic philosophical question: where do you draw the line?

  • 00:02 I walk into Maccas blind drunk. Around 24 hours have passed since my earlier encounter. In my inebriated state I now know where the line is and I cross it. I remember too late, all justifications aside, that McDonald's is not in the business of food (see Fast Food Nation), they're in the business of real estate. Food is just something that they happen to do, and not particularly well. Mmm fries that taste like cardboard, burgers that taste worse than what a severely retarded 5 year old could prepare, oh yeah. I walk away defeated, but secure in the knowledge that it's a while before I'll do this again. Doesn't even taste good. Old habits die hard, new ones die easy. I don't want to die at all. Not eating McD's will help.

No comments: