Wednesday, December 9, 2009

on the road

Today I'm driving. Well, I'm being driven. I'm not legally qualified to drive (long story). Usually that wouldn't stop me, but this is not my truck, not my rules, so my tag team partner's at the wheel.

We're on the way home from an uneventful, yet unrelentingly draining road trip. Then the boss calls. We're given two choices: one to come home, two to keep working. This is a no-brainer, still we hesitate...

Click. We need time to think. He's asked because he wants the job done. He's given us the option, because the new job wasn't in the original deal. Our mind set has already switched to get-the-f*ck-out-of-my-way-I'm-going-home-mode. Entertaining more work is a dark alley we don't want to walk down.

We call back. We're not doing the job. No reasons offered, no justification given. We hang up and worry. When you don't even attempt to justify yourself to whoever you're letting down an empty feeling usually follows. Now the ball's in their court. You haven't given them any guidance in reaching a conclusion. What will they think? That you're a lazy bastard, probably.

Sartre was right, hell is other people.