Sunday, June 14, 2009

On Matters of Faith 1






"Give me rampant intellectualism as a coping mechanism." -- Chuck Palahniuk (Invisible Monsters)

I'm naturally skeptical (aka pessimistic) about almost everything. If there were no contradictory belief or practice to contradict this one I would sponteaniously cease to be human.

1.All Men have beards
2.Aristotle and Loren Have Beards
3.Therefore Loren and Aristotle are Men

The syllogism is sound, at least one of the premises is untrue while the conclusion is probably true although Aristotle is no longer with us. Yes, even logic can be confusing, but that doesn't mean it is not useful.

Is everything just chemistry and physics subject to reductionist thinking? Was metaphysics 101 a complete waste of time? No.

I don't know what I'm trying to say here. I'll continue tomorrow.

No comments: