Wednesday, December 8, 2010

better than TED?

I reserve this, my favorite adverbially modified superlative for only special occasions. *Deep Breath* These videos from the RSA are RIDICULOUSLY AWESOME. Andrew Park roll the tape, if you please...


Wow, I love this guy's cartooning style. Aside from that the message is amazing. Imagine a world where public disagreement didn't always end up as public disparagement (or worse). The 21st century is a scary complex place. I am not just an individual marooned on some uninhabited island of self-determinism, I am an integrally connected part of the social and natural world. There are broader issues at play than just my personal hopes and desires. Situating myself within the milieu of the post enlightenment project and finding ways to increase my empathic capacity are the next great challenges.

And one more for the road...


I feel so vindicated by this video. Few things are more disturbing to me than irrationally obnoxiously optimistic people. Be happy sure, but how bout tempering that can-do-attitude with a healthy helping of cold hard realism. I witnessed a girl almost kill herself by accident the other day. Let me tell you it's going to be a long road back to a full recovery for the poor lass. Is this a good thing, just another fantastic opportunity dressed in wolves clothing? No, this is someones life fucked up for a very long time. You can call white black, and pink orange, if you want. Congratulations you're crazy. Dirty Harry said it best: "a man's gotta know his limitations." Welcome to the real world.

No comments: