Sunday, May 15, 2011

music is my friend


I'm listening to the Tron Legacy soundtrack. This is the greatest movie score of all time. The movie wasn't even very good (as far as story goes), but the visuals and music are entertainment MDMA without the come down. Especially the music.

Have you ever seen that episode of the Simpsons where Bart get's an 'F' and he has to pass his next test or he'll have to repeat the forth grade? Well Bart prays for help. The next day Springfield is hit by a blizzard. School is canceled and Bart has a day to cram for the upcoming test. Everyone is playing outside and enjoying the snow, but Bart instead of having fun gets to sit there like a chump and study.

That's what it's like when you choose the writer's life, or any other form of non-collaborative creative endeavour. Except in my case it's sunny outside, there are probably 100s of beautiful woman dotting the beach, which is a 3 minute walk away. What the hell am I doing? Like Kobe, I'm doing work. I signed up for this. Me, alone with all that could happen.

When I've got music blasting away in the background, while I tear out the few remaining strands of hair that are left from my undesired follicular diaspora, trying to figure out what to do next, it feels like I'm a little less alone, that there's a tiny channel connecting me to the outside world. This is good.

Sometimes I even feel like I'm on a roll. That I just wrote something moving. Then I realize that it wasn't the writing it was the soundtrack that gave me that feeling. Oh well. Then I keep going.

Daft Punk rocks. The Tron Legacy soundtrack is amazing. There are no lyrics to distract me from thinking, and every moment it feels like something profound is about to happen. Fuck yeah!

No comments: