Saturday, August 1, 2009

30 something

"My father never went to college, so it was really important I go to college. After college, I called him long distance and said now what? My dad didn't know. When I got a job and turned twenty-five, long distance, I said now what? He didn't know, so he told me to get married. I'm a thirty year old boy, and I'm wondering if another woman is the answer I need." Chuck Palahniuk (channeling Tyler Durden in Fight Club)

What is the answer? That is a perplexing question. Remember Chuck's gay, so that may have sub-consciously influenced the above statement (but probably not). I'm not gay, but it still makes sense to me, marriage isn't on the cards. Good, that's one less thing to worry about.

When Jesus turned 30 he began his ministry and whether you believe him or not he made a reasonably significant impact on history. Whatever the case he was fairly audacious, claiming to be the son of God and the saviour of the world. Not bad, Jesus, not bad. In the sci-fi film Logan's Run population growth is kept in check by putting to death anyone who turns 30. By the time Alexander the Great was 30 he had conquered much of the known world. So many options, so little time.

When I turned 30, today, I played possibly my worst game of football ever and that's about it. The more things stay the same, the more they change. Growing up keeps happening chronologically, but I'm still a boy like the quote says. Where to from here? I predict that I'll continue to get older. So, the only thing left now is legacy and my good looks. "I don't want to become immortal through my work, I want to become immortal by not dying," (cheers Woody) the latter may not be possible, so I'll settle for the former. I've got a lot of not being lazy to do, and when you're a little boy or a big one that's just about the hardest thing there is.

P.S. Happy Birthday to me!

No comments: